Nineteen years ago, on January 14, the “Bionic Woman” aired on television. I remember watching the show and being amazed at Jaime Sommer’s extraordinary abilities and all of the personal sacrifices she had to make in her new life as the bionic woman. Throughout her journey, Jaime’s inner strength and self-discovery helped Jaime embrace her new life as the first bionic woman.
Who knew that after all these years, I would have something in common with the bionic woman?
Not that I have amazing extraordinary abilities, but as a working woman, wife, and mother of three teenagers, I know all about re-discovering myself and sacrificing my personal time for my family, all while searching for inner strength to get me through the day.
Some days I feel like pulling out my own red superhero cape and wearing it while I juggle the full-time demands of work, motherhood, volunteering, and running daily errands. It seems there is just not enough hours in the day to complete my long list of things “to do.” It’s too bad human beings need sleep!
But accomplishing your daily activities can be rewarding and make you feel like a superhero. Here are seven tips to keep in mind while you go about your day:
- After all these years of managing a family and a full-time career, I learned the art of self-discipline. Without it, I cannot accomplish my goals or stay on task. The skill of self-discipline helps balance my requirements of working full-time with the demands of my three children and their SIX extracurricular activities. Self-discipline is very important because it builds self-esteem which promotes positive thinking, better work ethics and ultimately success. It is one habit worth learning!
- Learn how to work efficiently in five minutes. Take Super heroes, for example. Most Super heroes do their best, most efficient work by “saving the day” in five minutes or less. Impress yourself by taking those spare moments you have and make the most of them. Deep breathe, do small exercises, meditate, walk the dog, make a phone call, send an email, read an article, fold a basket of laundry, wipe off a few countertops, or spend a few minutes with your children.
- Stick to your boundaries. This is so difficult for me to do at times, especially on the days I am working from home. My family space now becomes my work space. If I don’t set clear boundaries, I would be working all day and all night. Design a schedule for yourself and stick with it. Include work time, family time, and fun time. Try not to answer emails or phone messages on family time. Surround yourself with people who will support you and honor your boundaries.
- Once your boundaries are set, work on limiting your distractions. Turn off the television, stay off the social media sites, stop texting, and accomplish what you set out to do in the first place.
- Set Small Goals each day. Setting goals will help you stay motivated and focused. Make sure they are attainable and clear.
- Lessen your stress and increase your productivity by staying organized. Clean up after you leave the room. Complete only the tasks for the day on the list. Prepare materials you will need the night before to save time. Be sensible, persistent, and organized. Work in sequence by concentrating on one task at a time. Working in sequence keeps you focused.
- Most importantly, love yourself. Allow yourself the time you need to unwind and find balance. It is perfectly fine to put your needs first to regain the energy you need to be the Superhero we all know and love!