I love the holidays. I love everything about them. As a native New Yorker, going to New York City during the holidays is the best! From the Thanksgiving parade to ice skating under an 85 foot Christmas tree in the middle of New York City, I have experienced it all!
One of the things that make the holidays special are the decorations. Houses and buildings, parks and trees, cars and boats, are all decorated for this festive time of year! Beautiful shining lights, red poinsettias and decorated strands of garland can make anything look spectacular!
Every year I decorate the inside and outside of my home a little different from the previous year, but the underlying theme of “green” never changes. Since I am a traditional style girl at heart, my home is always filled with holiday decorations that make you feel like you are “walking in a winter wonderland.”
Here are some of my favorite green decoration ideas for the holidays:
- Small indoor plants and a few medium-sized Christmas trees combined with silver, gold, white and beige candles look elegant. The natural aroma of the trees and the beautiful shades and textures of the plants keeps your home smelling fresh. Each room is decorated with its own unique design by bringing the outdoors in by using berries, pinecones, cinnamon sticks, tree branches, ribbons and small homemade ornaments. Add a few small figurines here and there and voila, you transformed your home into a timeless display of elegance!
- Add a touch of nature to your front porch and your windows by decorating them with evergreens, pine, red bows and ribbons. Fill your planters with branches of different evergreens and sticks spray- painted silver and white. Add some faux snow or berry branches for a pop of color.
- Indoors, mix and match small indoor plants and larger evergreens in groups. Display plants in white, antique white, black or gray containers to create a more peaceful look. Use indoor plants like ivy and poinsettia, which have lush foliage. Use branches with holly berries or ones from rowan trees.
- Drape some fresh pine roping over your fireplace mantel. Add some pine cones, branches of evergreens and red berries to the roping. Use beautiful red ribbon and hang bird ornaments, stockings, or any other traditional decorations made of glass, wood or metal along the roping. Add a touch of sisal twine or burlap to complete the look. Fill old, larger lanterns with round ornaments and smaller ones with candles and display on fireplace mantels. Place small topiary trees green moss balls in planters on the mantel. Wrap moss and green leaves around candles of all sizes and use a centerpiece for the mantel or a table. Hang a gorgeous evergreen wreath on the wall over the mantel for a stunning look.
- Decorate your home using small indoor plants with lush foliage, like ivy and poinsettia. Add touches of outdoor elegance by decorating with branches of holly berries, and evergreens. Add red ribbons to larger topiary trees and place in the corners of your rooms. Display white, gold, and silver candles along your tables for a final touch.
- Create table decorations by using bouquets of Christmas balls and evergreen twigs. Use an old cleaned out vegetable can for the vase. Place cinnamon sticks, mint leaves, or berries in small glass jars and place them on bathroom countertops. For the kitchen, add some evergreen twigs to a basket of apples and use as a centerpiece.
How do you decorate your home for the holidays? Share your ideas with us below!