How to Get Rid of Flies in Your House
Flies are attracted to all kinds of things. Usually, the top culprits are decaying organic matter such as old garbage and pet droppings, overripe fruit, alcohol and sweet soda. Outside the home, flies are attracted to pet food bowls containing leftover food, uncovered garbage, thick shrubbery that provides cover and any decomposing organic matter like animal droppings on the ground or dead animals.
What are the dangers of flies?
Don’t let your home become a breeding ground for flies. Flies are carriers of many diseases including typhoid, tuberculosis, cholera and dysentery. House flies collect these pathogens on their legs and mouths when feeding on feces, trash and other decaying material. They’re also known to carry the eggs of parasitic worms and to carry anthrax and salmonella.
How to get rid of flies using natural remedies.
First, make sure you don’t have any exposed garbage or foods inside or outside your home that might attract flies. Empty your trash frequently, and use a garbage can with a sealable lid. When preparing cut fruits or other sweet foods, make sure to store them properly in sealed containers to deter flies.
If you want to know how get rid of flies in your home naturally, there are a few methods you can try to clear your space.
The vinegar trap
- In a small jar, create a mixture of apple cider vinegar (½ cup) and a few drops of dish soap.
- The flies will be attracted to the vinegar and, when they fly in, the soap will trap them and they’ll be done for. The vinegar trap is a great remedy for fruit flies.
DIY Flypaper strips
- To make your own non-toxic flypaper strips, all you need is a hole punch, some thread, scissors, sugar, corn syrup and, of course, paper!
- Cut the paper into 2-inch-wide strips.
- Punch a hole at the top of each strip.
- Mix ½ cup corn syrup and ¼ cup sugar.
- Coat one side of the strips with the mixture.
- Hang the strips in the areas where the flies tend to hang out.
Homemade Fly Repellent
- You’ll need a tin can, a sponge and about ½ a cup of lavender essential oil.
- Dip the sponge in the essential oil.
- Seal the sponge in the tin can for 24 hours.
- Put the tin can in the affected area and open the lid, leaving for several hours.
- This should disperse the flies from the area. You can reuse this application by adding more essential oil to the sponge to keep its potency high. Keep your leftover essential oil in a sealed container.
Understanding the risks of fly killers and chemical bug repellents
It can be alluring to go the supermarket and buy a commercial fly killer, but there are risks involved. Many bug repellents contain chemicals like DEET which should be avoided or used with extreme caution. When you compound the potential danger of these chemicals with the dangers of the flies themselves, it makes sense that environmentally friendly alternatives to pesticides are the best option for getting rid of flies in your house.
The house cleaning professionals at Maid Brigade are dedicated to providing the highest possible cleaning service. With our help, you can rest assured that all the surfaces in your home will be thoroughly cleaned and sanitized to prevent house flies. When you’re on a tight schedule, it can be difficult to find time to clean every nook and cranny that could be potential homes for houseflies and fruit flies. Add that to your list of daily responsibilities including work, helping your kids with their homework, preparing meals and doing the laundry, and now you’ve got a situation on your hands where some little things might start to fall through the cracks. It’s so easy to lose command of the situation when there are simply not enough hours in the day. When you’re ready to loosen your burden and improve your quality of life by having a cleaner home and a lighter schedule, Maid Brigade is here to help. We will provide you with the best in thorough, environmentally-friendly home cleaning solutions tailored to your needs.