Want to go green but not sure where to start? Start by using less energy in your home. Here’s how:
- Switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs. They use just a quarter of the electricity of regular incandescent bulbs and they last up to ten times longer.
- Install movement sensors on the lights in your home so they only activate when needed. Or, install automatic timers for lights frequently on.
- Make sure to close the fridge and freezer doors because leaving them open for just a few extra seconds wastes a lot of energy. The refrigerator and freezer are probably the biggest electrical energy consumers in your house. Refrigerators work well at around 37 degrees Fahrenheit, and freezers set at minus 3 keep things frozen.
- Get an electronic thermostat so your furnace heats your home to a lower temperature while the family sleeps and returns it to a toastier temperature before you get out of bed. In the winter, set your thermostat at 68 degrees in the day and 55 degrees at night. In the summer, keep it at 78. Water heaters work most efficiently between 120 and 140 degrees.
- Unplug appliances when they aren’t in use. Electronic appliances, including TVs, computers, and CD players consume just as much energy when in standby mode as they do during the time they are being used.
- Wait for a full load before turning on the washing machine, dryer, or dishwasher.
- Clear the lint filter after every dryer load and air-dry clothes when weather allows.
- Open blinds, drapes, and shutters to let solar energy warm and brighten your home naturally. The cheapest and most environmentally sound heat and light source is just outside your window.
- Plug, insulate, replace, repair, caulk, or seal to make your home as leak-proof as possible – and watch your utility bills drop.
Maid Brigade House Cleaning Services cares about our environment and health of you and your family. For more information on healthy green living and green cleaning, please log on to greencleancertified.com and maidbrigade.com. To learn more about the hidden allergy and asthma triggers in your home, log on to greencleancertified.com/greentv.