Most of us don’t realize that our mattresses, sheets, and pillows could be responsible for making us sick. But, could the beds we sleep in every night really be dangerous to our health?
Traditional mattresses contain a variety of harmful chemicals that can create health problems in both adults and children.
Organic mattresses are healthier in that they conatin organic wool, organic cotton, and natural latex rubber. Organic wool allows moisture to be moved away from the body during sleep, and then evaporates after you get up. Traditional mattresses hold moisture in.
Natural latex rubber, which is found in organic mattresses, prevents dust mites and pet dander buildup, something which traditional mattresses don’t do.
Here are some ways to keep your bedding healthy and green:
- Keeping your bed pet free will help reduce the amount of pet dander on your bed.
- To help reduce your family’s exposure to pet dander, use a high-quality air purification system that employs a HEPA filter.
- Put organic covers on all of your mattresses and pillows.
- Move litter boxes away from the main air supply or bedroom of your home.
- Use a HEPA vacuum cleaner.
- Use damp cloths instead of brooms on hard surfaces, they will hold the dust being collected.
- To minimize pet dander, run a wet cloth over your pet as much as possible, especially after they come in from outside. To contain loose hair, brush fur in both directions and then follow with a damp cloth.
- Keep home humidity levels low. Use a dehumidifier to keep your air below 50% humidity. This should help kill dust mites.
- Wash bedding weekly using natural laundry detergent and dry bedding on high heat.
Maid Brigade House Cleaning Services cares about our environment and the health of you and your family. For more information on healthy green living and green cleaning, please log on to greencleancertified.com and maidbrigade.com. Watch our video on achieving work/life balance at greencleancertified.com/greentv. To learn more about the hidden allergy and asthma triggers in your home, log on to greencleancertified.com/greentv.
For more information on cleaning products and breast cancer, please watch our video at maidbrigade.com. To find out ways to protect your family’s health against breast cancer, please log on to greencleancertified.com.