To continue my series of simple ideas to “Green Up” your child’s environment, here are a few more suggestions:
3. GO ORGANIC for your baby’s clothing, food, towels and bedding. Choose organic cotton and/or products made from natural fibers. If you don’t have the time to puree fruits and vegetables, there are several organic baby food brands available for mom’s on the go.
4. Breastfeed your baby if possible. But if that is not your choice, at least choose BPA (Biphenyl-s) free bottles for feeding. You can use glass and/or BPA free plastic bottles. Most local baby stores carry them.
5. I suggest using cloth diapers instead of disposable ones. Cloth diapers do not contain the harmful chemicals that disposable diapers do and they don’t add to our landfills either. I know disposables are convenient, but consider a diaper cleaning service for when you are at home. I was lucky enough to have a diaper cleaning service for my kids and loved it! I only used the disposables when taking the baby on an excursion.
6. Skin Products – Please be careful when choosing skin products for your newborn. Choose natural products that do NOT contain phthalates, formaldehyde, mineral oil, parabens and sulfates. If you love great fragrant products make sure you choose those with the least amount of chemicals and that use pure essential oils rather than artificial fragrance. Fragrances not only have toxic chemicals in them, they also have suspension chemicals to keep the smell in the air longer. Choose carefully. The same chemicals can also be found in house cleaning products with added fragrances, so avoid these as well. Skin products and house cleaning products with these fragrances can cause neurological disorders such as headaches, behavioral problems, mood swings, even ADHD or worse.
7. Last but not least, the indoor air quality of our homes is up to 7 times worse than outdoor air and house cleaning products are the major contributor to poor indoor air quality. So reduce the toxic chemicals in the air by choosing Green Seal approved house cleaning solutions to clean your home. Better yet, spend quality time with your new baby or grandchild and call your local Maid Brigade office for a free house cleaning estimate. When we clean your home it simplifies your life and gives you more time for your family.
Maid Brigade is the only Green Certified house cleaning service in the United States. In addition to the specialized vacuums, we use Green Seal Certified solutions. We only use Micro Fiber cleaning cloths that really grab and hold on to dirt and dust, leaving nothing behind and we train our staff to properly use all our green cleaning products and procedures, which ensures that every house cleaning adheres to Green Clean Certified Standards.